Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blizzard


As you may know, we are having a blizzard in Wisconsin. We had 7 inches of snow last night, so that has resulted in lots of shoveling.

My father-in-law owns his own business, and like many business owners in the winter, he contracts his snow removal.

This year he changed his snow-removal guy as a favor to a friend's friend...you know, and so this morning the new guy doesn't show up. Paul (my father-in-law) and I spend two hours outside shoveling snow so our customers can get to the door. It wasn't really something either one of us wanted to do, and to say the least, Paul wasn't very happy.

After a couple of hours into it, Paul finally goes in to call this guy and chew some you-know-what out. Come to find out, the guy's wife went into labor early this morning. All of a sudden, I was happy for this guy who had been the cause of my frozen butt. I thought about the joy of being there at my own children's birth and suddenly shoveling a foot of snow seemed like a very small thing.

No comments: