Friday, December 4, 2009

Thoughts on Parenting... Part II

For all of you who know me, I am not a monetarily rich man, but I am rich in many other ways. I have a great family, a very wonderful wife and children, amazing friends, a job, a place to live, and food to eat. It may seem very simple, but I am very thankful for it. I know that somewhere along the road of the "American Dream" many people lose site of this true wealth.

I contribute most of my success in life to my parents. The reason is they taught me a very valuable principle growing-up. It started from a very young age and underscored every thing else they would teach me. It was the principle of obedience.

Ephesians 6:1-3 says, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "Honor your father and mother"-- which is the first commandment with a promise-- 3 "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

I do want my children to obey me, but I don't want them to obey me just because I demand it. I what them to obey me because in their obedience comes a huge blessing. It is the blessing of enjoying a long and healthy life. I know that my desire for Micah and Lydia is the same as every other parent's, that they would have a happy life. If we help our children learn to obey, they have a great chance of reaching this goal.

No comments: