Friday, January 8, 2010

Romans 1:8-17



Romans 1:8-17 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9 God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you. 11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong-- 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. 14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. 16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, "The righteous will live by faith."

Paul did not plant the church in Rome, so as he is writing this letter, he had not yet been to Rome for the reason of visiting this church. But as he begins his letter to them, he tells them about how much he desires great thing for them. Because he desires such things, he prays for them (9-10), he longs to see them so that they may be a mutual encouragement to each other (12).

Paul did not know these people personally. He did not have a relationship with any of them, yet because they were followers of Christ, just as he was (9), he had great affection for them. There are many people in our towns and communities that attend different churches, but we are all bound together because of our faith in Christ, and because we have this bond we should hold each other up in prayer.

This portion of Scripture clarifies one of the most essential parts of Christianity. Paul says, "in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, 'The righteous will live by faith. (17)'" The gospel (the story of Jesus and his work for us) is about trusting God. In that trusting, God gives us Jesus' righteousness. We cannot work our way to heaven, instead we must trust our way to heaven. This righteousness is by faith from first to last (or its all about faith). Being a Christian simply means trusting God by faith because of Jesus death.

No comments: