Wednesday, March 3, 2010

All the Work

My son told me yesterday that he had to do all the work outside after his nap. Here is a list of his work: help take the garbage and recycling out to the curb, shovel the snow in the yard into a pile and then move it to a new pile, snowblow the yard with his pretend lawnmower, wash his tractor and wagon with water, spray our cars down for me so I could wash them and 'drive' me to school in our clean cars (he was the grandpa-dad was at work). Needless to say he was really tired last night and then a miracle happened...he slept in until 6:50 am! The bad news: Lydia woke up early 5:50 am and was ready to eat (that's what happens when you refuse dinner).

I talked with my fantastic, terrific, wonderful friend Vicki who is from Polk City and is indeed one of the good things that came out of living there. (Was that sufficient sucking up Vicki?) We talked more about my ring situation. I am having Eric's ring fixed-they had to cut it off of his finger after the accident-and I will wear it. I love his ring, it is sort of celtic knot looking in silver on the inside and plain gold around that. It is unique without being weird or gaudy. I liked one of the comments where they said that they wear their husband's ring. I appreciate the support in wearing or not wearing the ring. It is one of those strange realities that you have to work through. I guess that I never really realized how much comfort and belonging the ring gave me. It was a physical reminder of the connection that Eric and I have. I feel like I am trying to figure out how to honor him as a memory and get used to him being gone as a presence. (I totally stole that idea from a grief book.)

Thanks for listening. I will write again soon-maybe I will even manage to get pics of my kids up!

1 comment:

johnb said...

LOVE YOUR BLOGGING I HOPE IT HELPS AND VICKIE IS SPECIAL LOVE IN CHRIST JOHN B.