Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"I am the bread of life" John 6:35

I finally made my Amish friendship bread. I babysat a batch and then split it but didn't bake it. Tonight I stayed up late to bake this bread because some things are easier to do when the kids are asleep. I wanted to check the computer to see what was going on in the world and I found out that I was inspired to write about bread. Jesus said that he is the bread of life in John 6:35 but a few verses before that he said "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread of heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." (vs. 32-33)

These verses stuck out to me tonight. I have often heard the bread of life quote but I have not heard the verses before that recited. It struck me today because God is using Eric's death in profound ways in other people lives and mine. People have commented to me that they admire my strength and faith. I am not quite sure what to say. I don't feel extraordinary in any way. God has given me my faith. God sustains me. God saved me. God used this situation to bring glory to His name.

Jesus pointed out to the people that Moses didn't provide for them. He was not someone to deify. God sent manna from heaven to reveal another part of himself to those people. It was part of his loving effort to draw them to himself. While manna didn't last past the desert, Jesus has always been and he always will be. He provides a way to true life. He is the bread that we can partake in and never hunger spiritually again. He is the water that satisfies our soul.

My bread downstairs smells so good. If we are Christ's followers we get to be the aroma of Christ to all who are seeking. I feel as though God has put a spotlight on my "aroma" right now and that He is giving me the ability to be cinnamon and sugar Amish friendship bread-or whatever appeals to your soul. It is God working in me and I am really amazed. I am just me. I am not different from any of you yet God is using little me and my husband to exhalt His name. I find that very cool and very encouraging. I hope that this blog makes you hungry for bread...I have a ton in my kitchen!

1 comment:

Helene Bergren said...

Great points, Sarah! Isn't it neat how God tied in your friendship bread with a Scripture He evidently wanted conveyed? Keep up the good work. You'll do great with Romans. You're right, it is largely about loving Him through obeying!
Helene