Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Plant Mission

I am not a plant person. I worked one summer on a landscape crew during college but that did not turn me into a horticulturist. In fact, when we moved to Polk City IA, I let Eric's plant die on purpose. It was his favorite plant, he even named it Carson as in D.A. Carson-anyway, I digress. I let it die because I thought that it would be shameful to let a perfectly good plant get thrown away so "LOGICALLY" I let it die through neglect. I now regret this decision so do not comment that I am an evil plant killer. That was a long introduction to say that I am now trying to salvage a plant that I unknowingly brought to deaths door. It is a beautiful gardenia bonsai or at least it was. I watered it, put it in sun and almost killed it. The plant is not to be watered with water softened water and it has to be water by placing the pot into a shallow bath of water. I have purchased supplies to aid in my endeavor:fertilizer, new soil, additive to increase acidity and of course not treated water. Grief makes you do weird things.

I feel pretty good today. I had lots of time and space. Lydia was a little sick so she and I stayed home while Micah went with my mom and dad to their church. I ran some errands by myself and took a walk with the kids after dinner. The lake is really starting to melt and yet some fisherman are still driving their cars on the lake. It is morbid but I love to watch them to see if their cars will fall through. They never get hurt but their cars usually do...oh well (if you could see me I am smiling a smirkity smile).





No comments: